Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University baseball team suffered a tough 7-5 setback to the Vikings of Salem State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon from Riccards Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 5, Salem State 7
Records: Fitchburg State (19-9, 9-4 MASCAC) I Salem State (12-14, 6-7 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first when freshman Vincent Eramo (Shirley, Mass.) singled to shortstop to bring home sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) before Salem State grabbed a 4-1 margin in the top half of the fifth as freshman Luke Eggers (Duxbury, Mass.) laced a two-run single to left, while sophomore Sean Rebello (Bellingham, Mass.) added an RBI single.
The Falcons knotted the score (4-4) in the eighth with junior Joshua Macomber (Berkley, Mass.) and classmate Matthew Pingitore (Rutland, Mass.) connection on run scoring singles, but the Vikings answered back as sophomore Tim Catalano (Brewster, Mass.) registered an RBI base knock to give the visitors a 5-4 edge, resulting in the 7-5 final.
By The Numbers
- 100th meeting between the two teams with the Falcons 20-80 vs the Vikings
- Macomber led the way for the Falcons, going 2-for-4 with one run scored and two RBI
- Pingitore added three hits and one RBI for the Green and Gold
- Richard Sharp (Townsend, Mass.) was solid for Fitchburg State, allowing four runs (3 earned) on seven hits with six K's in 7.2 innings in a no decision
- Matt Marquez (Salem, Mass.) went 3-for-3 with one run scored for the Vikings
- Eggers chipped in with one hit, one run scored and two RBI for the visitors
- Andrew McLaughlin (Peabody, Mass.) earned the win for Salem State, giving up five runs (4 earned) on 12 hits with six strikeouts in 8.1 innings pitched
Falcons will travel to Salem State tomorrow to take on the Vikings for a MASCAC double header, starting at 2:00 PM. Vikings will host Fitchburg State tomorrow for a conference twin bill at 2:00 PM.