Sterlin Garvin rushes for 246 on Senior Day
Fitchburg, Mass. - The Fitchburg State University football team fell to the Colonials of Western Connecticut State University 33-12, in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action on a cold and rainy day at Elliot Field.
Score: Fitchburg State University 12, Western Connecticut 33
Records: Fitchburg State (1-7, 1-5 MASCAC), Western Connecticut (8-0, 6-0 MASCAC)
How It Happened
West. Conn. scored on their first two possessions of the game for the early 14-0 lead. Quarterback Dave James (Stamford, Conn.) connected with wide receiver Austin Calamita (North Branford, Conn.) for a pair of touchdown (16, 47 yrds) scores.
Running back Kyle McKinnon (New London, Conn.) extended the lead to 20-0 with just nine seconds left in the first quarter. The senior has a short 2-yard rush for the score.
The Green and Gold cracked the scoreboard just before halftime. Pinned deep in their own end, senior Sterlin Garvin (Canton, Mass.) broke through the Colonials defense for an 83-yard run to the West Conn. two-yard line. One play later Gavin broke the plane to cut the deficit to 20-6.
After the intermission James pushed the Colonials lead to 27-6 with a 4 yard run at 11:45 of the third stanza, and running back Khalil Patterson (Hartford, Conn.) added a 9-yard touchdown for Western Conn. for a 33-6 advantage.
Falcons' running back Garvin finished the scoring with a 66-yard touchdown late in the fourth frame for the 33-12 final.
By The Numbers
- In a pre-game ceremony the falcons recognized ten seniors for their contributions to the football program. They are: Sterlin Garvin, Jovon White, Cyrick Watford, Chris Tamukedde, Herbert Acosta, Jacqua Solomon, Jared Citizen, Marquis Caulton, Stephen Armand and Jayson Urato.
- Gavin finished with 246-yards on 26 carries and two touchdowns to pace the Falcons.
- Quarterback Brandon Brown (Lake Mary, Fla) was 8-for-20 for 78-yards for the Falcons, while his counterpart James was 12-for-20 for 165 yards and two touchdowns.
- Calamita led the Colonials with eight receptions for 103 yards and two touchdowns
- On the defensive side Jovon White (Meriden, Conn.) had seven total tackles while Melchior Lynch (Roxbury, Mass.) chipped in with 6.5 tackles for the hosts. West Conn. was led by Tariq Odom's (Bloomfield, Conn.) five total tackles.
- Fitchburg State held the advantage in first downs (15-14) and rushing yards (273-131)
Next Saturday, the Falcons will travel to Plymouth State University for a noontime kickoff with the Panthers while the Colonials will host the Rams of Framingham State at 5:00pm.