Platt nets double-double in home opener
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University men's basketball team rolled over the Lasers of Lasell College 85-74 in non-conference action this afternoon at the Parkinson Gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 85, Lasell 74
Records: Fitchburg State (1-1) | Lasell (0-1)
How It Happened
Fitchburg took a 12-5 lead early in the contest as junior guard Kewan Platt (Jamaica Plain, Mass.) sparked the Falcons with five of the twelve points, while senior Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.) finished the run with a one-handed dunk.
Lasell responded, knotting the score at 18-18 on a pair of treys from sophomore Dylan Murray (Williston, Fla). The Green and Gold extended their lead (34-25) as Platt and Tracy combined for an 8-1 run before the Lasers cut the deficit to five on a jumper by sophomore Liam Jacobs (Plainfield, Conn.) to make the score 29-34 going into the break.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State University upped its margin (58-38) on a dunk from Platt with 11:30 to play in the second half. Senior Johnathan Perez (Lowell, Mass.) potted eight points while Tracy chipped in with four over the eight minute span.
Lasell made it an eight point game (68-60) with a pair of free throws from Stefan Masciarelli (Northbridge, Mass.) with 4:24 to play. The Falcons secured the first win of the season outscoring the visitors (17-14) down the stretch, en-route to the 85-74 final.
Inside the Numbers,
- Fitchburg State was led by Platt's double-double. He finished the day with a game-high 33 points and 18 boards, while Perez added 18 points and four rebounds. Newcomer Kameron Jimenez-Fox (Boston, Mass.) totaled 12 points and 6 rebounds.
- For Lasell, Masciarelli finished with a team-best 24 points, 7 assists and 3 caroms, while Murray chipped in with 19 points off the bench.
- Fitchburg State shot 32-for-67 (47.8%) from the field and (10-of-28) 35.7% from beyond the arc.
- Lasell went 23-for-57 (40.4%) overall and (8-of-25) 32% from three point range.
- Fitchburg held the advantage in rebounds (40-33).
- This afternoon's contest is fifth meeting between the two squads on the basketball court with the Falcons currently 3-2 all-time when taking on the Lasers.
- Lasell has won the last two meetings with Fitchburg State, including an 82-74 decision in the last matchup on December 5, 2002 at the Parkinson Gymnasium.
Falcons host the Bison of Nichols College on Tuesday at 6pm, while the Lasers will entertain the Pride of Regis College on Monday for a 7:00 pm start.