Weston, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University men's basketball team defeated the Pride of Regis College, 90-82 this evening in non-conference action from the Higgins Court.
Score: Fitchburg State 90, Regis 82
Records: Fitchburg State (4-8) | Regis (5-7)
How It Happened
Regis grabbed a 4-0 advantage to open the contest on buckets from juniors Josh Germain (Pembroke, Mass.) and Dimitri Rosa (Tiverton, R.I.) before Fitchburg State answered with back-to-back three balls by junior Andre Ruff (Chicago, Ill.) and classmate Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.) to knot the score at 6-6.
With the scored tied at 14 all, the Pride regained the lead (17-14) as senior Juvens Dalger (Oakland Park, Fla.) drained a three pointer before the Falcons took a 29-28 edge as Ruff connected on a pair of free-throws. Following a free-throw by freshman Tayjaun McKenzie (Lynn, Mass.), Regis capped the first half scoring when senior Devante Thompson (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) hit a jumper to give the host a 39-34 margin going into the break.
In the second half, Regis upped its lead (41-34) on a basket by Germain, but Fitchburg State battle back, going on an 11-2 run to take a 45-43 margin on a Ruff jumper. The Pride responded with a layup from senior Adenola Afonja (Staten Island, N.Y.) before the Falcons answered again as Tracy drilled a three ball for the 52-49 lead.
The two teams continued to trade baskets before Fitchburg State opened up a ten point lead (82-72) with just under two minutes remaining in the contest on a layup from Tracy. Regis cut the deficit to 86-79 on an Afonja basket, but the Falcons secured the victory as junior Tyrell St. John (Stamford, Conn.), resulting in the 90-82 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Ruff with a team-best 21 points and eight rebounds
- Tracy added 21 points, three boards and three assists for Fitchburg State
- Afonja paced the Pride with a game-leading 29 points and two caroms
- Senior Jordan Seldon (Dorchester, Mass.) chipped in with 14 points and four rebounds for Regis
- Seventh meeting between two schools with Falcons 4-3 all-time vs the Pride
- Fitchburg State shot 32-for-65 (50.0%) from the field and (7-for-14) 50.0% from three point land
- Regis finished 33-of-66 (49.2%) overall and (4-for-14) 35.7% from beyond the arc
- Both teams finished with 36 rebounds apiece
- Pride held a slim 25-23 margin in bench points
Falcons will travel to Framingham State on Saturday to take on the Rams as they open MASCAC play for a 3:00 PM start. Pride will visit Pine Manor College on the same day for a non-conference tilt, stating at 3:00 PM.