Fitchburg, Mass. – Goaltender Brian McGrath (Worcester, Mass.) backboned the Falcons' defense with 52 saves as the Fitchburg State University men's ice hockey team skated to 2-2 overtime tie with the Panthers of Plymouth State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action on Thursday night at Wallace Civic Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 2, Plymouth State 2 (OT)
Records: Fitchburg State (1-2-1, 1-0-1 MASCAC) | Plymouth State (3-0-1. 1-0-1 MASCAC)
How it Happened
Fitchburg State's explosive offense netted two first period goals. Freshman Ryan Murphy (Wayzata, Minn.) was able break the scoreless tie three minutes in, when he controlled the Josh Victor (Killeen, Tex.) pass and flicked the shot into the wide open net to give the Falcons the lead.
The advantage would increase 5 minutes later as Sascha Figi (Kloten, Switzerland) took a bouncing puck and tipped it into the net. Classmates Nick DiNicola (Wolcott, Conn.) and Connor McPherson (Clovis, Calif.) were credited with the assists.
Plymouth State would cut the Falcon lead in half late in the second period. Junior Alec LeFave (Hudson, NH) netted his first goal of the season when he converted a pass from JR Barone (West Chester, Pa.) at the 18:10 mark.
Plymouth State had the best chance early in the third period with a two-man advantage, however Falcons netminder Brian McGrath posted several key saves over the two minute advantage to keep it a one-goal game.
The Panthers knotted the game 2-2 with just under five minutes remaining. Freshman Jarrett Slear (West Chester, PA) collected the puck deep in the corner and fed Jake Gerbner (Havertown, PA) in the slot for the one-timer.
The teams skated a scoreless overtime.
Inside the Numbers
- Fitchburg State goalkeeper Brian McGrath (Worcester, Mass.) registered 52 saves between the pipes for the Falcons, while his counterpart Evan Morelli (Reading, Mass.) posted 23 saves in the stalemate.
- Ryan Murphy scored his first collegiate goal
- The Panthers held the advantage in shots (54-25), and both team were 0-for-8 on the power play.
- The Falcons have tallied at least two goals in every game this season.
- This evening's contest marks the 60th meeting between the two teams on the ice with the Falcons currently 26-27-7 all-time when taking on the Panthers.
- Plymouth State has won five the last six contests against Fitchburg State, with the Falcons coming away with a 7-5 triumph in the last meeting on February 3, 2018 at the Hanaway Rink.
Fitchburg State University hits the ice on Saturday at 4pm, hosting Anna Maria College in non-conference action, while Plymouth State hosts UMass Dartmouth at 7pm on the same day.