Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University ice hockey team dropped a 4-1 decision to the Rams of Suffolk University in non-conference action this evening from the Wallace Civic Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 1, Suffolk 4
Records: Fitchburg State (6-5-2) | Suffolk (5-9)
How It Happened
Suffolk opened the scoring late in the first period as freshman Billy Roche (Braintree, Mass.) gathered a feed from junior Brian Brooks (Canton, Mass.) and senior Sean Henry (Trumbull, Conn.) and found the back of the net first collegiate tally on the power-play for the 1-0 margin.
In the second period of play, the Rams upped its lead (3-0) in the span of 15 seconds as senior Mikhail Bryan (Dayton, Ohio) connected on his fifth tally of the season at the 4:32 mark of the frame before sophomore Joseph Mortilaro (Tampa, Fla.) netted his fourth goal of the season 4:47 in.
Fitchburg State responded with 13 minutes left in the stanza when senior Brandon Ecklund (Fitchburg, Mass.) received a pass from classmates Connor McPherson (Clovis, Calif.) and Patrick Germain (Auburn, Mass.), who proceeded fire a shot into the back of the net for his second marker on the year to make the score 3-1.
Suffolk secured the victory with roughly two and minutes left in the third period as junior LJ Fellows (Hyannis, Mass.) connected on an empty netter for his first tally of the 2018-19 campaign, resulting in the 4-1 final.
By the Numbers
- Ecklund finished with one goal, while McPherson and Germain added one assist each
- 21st meeting between two schools with Falcons 15-4-2 all-time vs the Rams
- Suffolk held a 47-35 margin in shots
- Fitchburg State finished 0-for-4 with the man advantage
- Freshman Matthew Stephan (Ridge, N.Y.) stopped 43 shots for the Falcons in first collegiate start
- Junior Will Ribas (Westwood, Mass.) made 34 saves for the Rams
Falcons will travel to Plymouth State on Thursday to take on the Panthers for a MASCAC bout, starting at 6:00 PM. Rams will host the Wildcats of Johnson & Wales University on Friday for an NEHC clash at 7:00 PM.