Fitchburg Mass. – The Fitchburg State ice hockey team suffered tough 1-0 setback to the Corsairs of UMass Dartmouth in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening from the Wallace Civic Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 0, UMass Dartmouth 1
Records: Fitchburg State (9-9-2, 6-5-2 MASCAC) | UMass Dartmouth (11-8-1, 8-4-1 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Following a scoreless first period, UMass Dartmouth nearly opened the scoring with six minutes left in the second frame as sophomore forward Kai Kapossy (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) skated in a break away, but Fitchburg State goaltender Brian McGrath (Worcester, Mass.) turned aside the shot to preserve the 0-0 stalemate.
The Corsairs finally broke the 0-0 deadlock just 31 seconds into the final period of play when senior Mason Nichols (Oviedo, Fla.) blasted a shot from the right circle, into the upper right corner for his third marker on the season for the 1-0 advantage.
Fitchburg State threatened late the frame as senior Connor McPherson (Clovis, Calif.) and classmate Ricky Kramer (Barnstead, N.H.) put back-to-back shots on frame, but Corsair keeper Parker Butler (Summit, N.J.) would deny both shots, resulting in the 1-0 final.
By the Numbers
- Junior Dean Zerby (Harrisburg, Penn.) finished the contest with a team-best five shots for the Falcons
- 78th meeting between two schools with Falcons 30-41-7 all-time vs the Corsairs
- UMass Dartmouth held a 40-28 margin in shots
- Fitchburg State went 0-for-2 with the man advantage
- McGrath stopped 39 shots for the Falcons
- Butler made 28 saves for the Corsairs
Falcons will host the Panthers of Plymouth State on Saturday for a MASCAC matchup, starting at 5:00 PM. Corsairs will host the Vikings of Salem State on the same date for a conference bout at 4:00 PM.