Springfield, Mass. – The second seeded Falcons of Fitchburg State were edged by the Owls , 5-3 this afternoon in championship game of the 2019 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Baseball Post-Season Tournament at the Archie Allen Field on the campus of Springfield College.
Score: Fitchburg State 3, Westfield State 5
Records: Fitchburg State (26-16, 13-8 MASCAC) I Westfield State (27-14, 14-7 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Westfield State grabbed a 1-0 margin in the top of the second as senior Aaron Clancy (Quincy, Mass.) doubled to left and eventually crossed the plate on an RBI single from junior Jake Gibb (Stoughton, Mass.)
The Owls double their lead (2-0) in the third with Clancy singling to left center that scored junior Casey Boudreau (Shrewsbury, Mass.), but Fitchburg State would cut the deficit to 2-1 in the bottom of the fifth when sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) doubled home junior Brandon Lefebvre (Leominster, Mass.).
Westfield State upped its advantage in the top of the sixth on a solo home run by sophomore Nick Martin (Shrewsbury, Mass.) to make the score 3-1. The Falcons responded in their half of the seventh as newcomer Brendan Ferrell (Plymouth, Mass.) launched his first collegiate home run over the right field fence to cut the lead to 3-2.
The Green and Gold knotted the score (3-3) in the bottom of the eighth when Cordeau laced an RBI single to right that brought home freshman Vincent Eramo (Shirley, Mass.) before the Owls regained the lead in the top of the ninth with junior Brett Dooley (Cohasset, Mass.) coming home on a wild pitch, resulting in the 5-3 final.
By The Numbers
- 85th meeting between the two teams with the Falcons 21-65 vs the Owls
- Ferrell paced the Falcons, going 2-for-5 with a home run, one run scored and one RBI
- Cordeau added two hits with a double and two RBI for the Green and Gold
- Clancy finished 2-for-4 with a double, one run scored and one RBI
- Richard Sharp (Townsend, Mass.) took the loss Fitchburg State, allowing four runs on seven hits with two K's in 8.1 innings of work.
- Shane Bogli (Vernon, Conn.) earned the win for Westfield State, giving up two runs on five hits with two strikeouts in three innings of relief
- Cordeau tied the Falcons single season record for hits in a season with 59
Falcons conclude their 2019 season with an overall record of 26-16 and a 13-8 mark in conference play. Owls clinch the 2019 MASCAC Post-Season title and await its seeding into the NCAA DIII Baseball Tournament.