Jaramillo makes ten saves for Fitchburg State in conference setback
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State men's soccer team dropped a tough 2-0 decision to the Vikings of Salem State this morning in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action from Elliot Field as the Falcons honored eight seniors prior to the contest.
Score: Fitchburg State 0, Salem State 2
Records: Fitchburg State (7-9-2, 3-3-1 MASCAC) | Salem State (11-4-2, 6-0-1 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Salem State opened the scoring at the 11:04 mark of the first half as sophomore Lucas Amaral (Peabody, Mass.) deposited a shot inside the far post for his fourth score of the season off a free kick just outside the box for the 1-0 edge.
Fitchburg State nearly knotted the score with four minutes remaining in the half when junior Yannick DePina (Boston, Mass.) fired a shot on frame, but sophomore Orlando Rodrigues (Burlington, Mass.) cleared the ball of the goal line to preserve the 1-0 margin going into the break.
Following the intermission, the Vikings doubled their advantage in the 53rd minute of action with sophomore Paa Sowe (Lynn, Mass.) connecting on his fourth marker on the year to make the score 2-0.
Inside the Numbers
- This morning's contest marked the 44th meeting the two squads with the Falcons 9-33-2 all-time when taking on the Viking
- Salem State finished with a 21-11 margin in shots, while also holding a 8-1 edge in corner kicks
- Junior Sebastian Jaramillo (Dracut, Mass.) made ten saves for the Falcons in the setback
- Counterpart Christopher Jimenez (Nashua, N.H.) stopped six shots for the Vikings in the triumph
- Prior to the contest, the Fitchburg State men's soccer team honored eight seniors playing in their final regular season home contest with the seniors being #4 Malachi Appiah, #5 Prince Boateng, #7 Zachary Buckland, #8 Stephen Nagle, #9 Marckdonard Bastien, #11 Nolan Brassard, #14 Christian Lucchesi and #17 Camden McLaughlin.
Falcons concluded their 2019 regular season this morning and have clinched the third seed into the upcoming MASCAC Men's Soccer Post-Season Tournament. Vikings also finished up their 2019 regular season today and await their seeding into the upcoming conference postseason tournament.