Coppinger posts double-double of 22 points and 19 caroms in non-conference setback
Boston, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team dropped a tough 74-71 decision to the Rams of Suffolk University in non-conference action this evening from the Regan Gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 71, Suffolk 74
Records: Fitchburg State (5-3) | Suffolk (6-3)
How It Happened
Suffolk opened the contest with a 5-0 on buckets from senior Marissa Gudauskas (Bolton, Conn.) and sophomore Jordan Hipwell (Ballston Spa, N.Y.) before junior Emma Thomson (York, Maine) connected on back-to-back three balls for Fitchburg State to make the score 12-8. The Falcons capped the scoring in the first quarter as junior Catherine Coppinger (Dorchester, Mass.) hit a jumper to cut the lead to 20-17.
Fitchburg State grabbed the lead (22-20) early the second frame as Coppinger buried a trey and a layup before upping its margin on another three pointer by Thomson to make the score 27-22. The Rams chipped away at the deficit with sophomore Mya Blazejowski (Woburn, Mass.), Hipwell and Gudauskas hitting baskets to cut the lead to 35-34 going into the break.
Following the intermission, Suffolk retied the contest (38-38) on a bucket from Hipwell, but the Falcons took the lead back as Coppinger converted a jumper for the 40-38 edge. The Rams regained the lead on a three pointer from Gudauskas for the 55-53 advantage.
The Green and Gold battle back to tie the contest at 59-59 as Coppinger hit a jumper, but Hipwell answered for the Rams with bucket of her own for the 61-59 margin. Suffolk secured the win with junior Alexis Hackett (Charlton, Mass.) sinking two free-throws, resulting in the 74-71 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Coppinger with double-double of 22 points and 19 boards
- Thomson added 20 points, four rebounds and two steals for Fitchburg State
- Sophomore Jenni-Rose DICecco (Falmouth, Mass.) netted a double-double of 22 points and 12 caroms for the Rams
- Gudauskas chipped in with 20 points and three rebounds for Suffolk
- 13th meeting between two schools with Falcons 7-6 all-time vs the Rams
- Fitchburg State shot 27-for-63 (42.9%) from the field and (10-for-26) 38.5% from three point range
- Suffolk finished 28-of-76 (36.8%) overall and (9-for-30) 30.0% for beyond the arc
- Falcons held a narrow 45-43 margin on the glass
- Rams finished with a 12-2 edge in fast break points
Falcons will host the Mountaineers of Southern Vermont College on Saturday for a non-conference matchup, starting at 12:00 PM. Rams will host the Rams of Framingham State on the same date for a non-conference tilt at 1:00 PM.