Marazzi registers game-best 23 points in non-conference setback
Weston, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team dropped a tough 76-71 decision to the Pride of Regis College in non-conference action this evening from the Higgins Court.
Score: Fitchburg State 71, Regis 76
Records: Fitchburg State (6-4) | Regis (1-4)
How It Happened
Regis took a 4-2 advantage on a layup from junior Katryna Veasey (Quincy, Mass.) before Fitchburg State responded with an 11-0 run, capped by a bucket from sophomore Mishelle Logie (Attleboro, Mass.) for the 13-4 edge Regis closed out the first quarter scoring with a basket by senior Sam D'Angelo (Woburn, Mass.) to the lead to 21-15.
The Pride chipped away at the deficit (23-20) as senior Maura Russell (Braintree, Mass.) connected on a three-ball, but the Falcons would take a seven point margin into the break when sophomore Payton Holmes (Carver, Mass.) converted an and one opportunity to make the score 37-30 at the half.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State extended its lead (42-36) on a three-pointer from Logie before Regis knotted the score at 46-46 on a Veasey jumper. The Pride would take a 56-53 edge into the final quarter as Russell hit a pair of free-throws.
The Green and Gold battled back to take a 60-58 advantage on back-to-back jumpers by junior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.), but the Pride answered back to retie the contest at 60-60 as newcomer Arie Searcy (Santa Rose, Calif.) made a layup. Fitchburg took a 71-67 edge with three minutes to play on a bucket by Holmes before Regis closed out the contest on a 9-0 run, capped by a pair from the charity stripe from Russell, resulting in the 76-71 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Marazzi with game-best 23 points and nine assists
- Coppinger added 17 points, eight boards and six steals for Fitchburg State
- Veasey finished with 19 points and nine caroms for the Pride
- Junior Valerie Martin (Derry, N.H.) chipped in with 17 points and eight rebounds for Regis
- 5th meeting between two schools with Falcons 3-2 all-time vs the Pride
- Fitchburg State shot 28-for-71 (39.4%) from the field and (6-for-19) 31.6% from three point range
- Regis finished 27-of-66 (40.9%) overall and (8-for-24) 33.3% for beyond the arc
- Pride held a 47-37 margin on the glass
- Falcons finished with a 36-20 edge in points in the paint
Falcons are off until after the semester break when they host the Falcons of Albertus Magnus College on Wednesday, January 2nd for a non-conference matchup, starting at 5:00 PM. Pride will visit Framingham State on Thursday for a non-conference tilt at 6:00 PM.