Falcons Rebound Over Vikings, 61-54
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team defeated the Vikings of Salem State University, 61-54 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening from the Parkinson Gymansium.
Score: Fitchburg State 61, Salem State 54
Records: Fitchburg State (7-6, 1-1 MASCAC) | Salem State (2-12, 0-2 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State jumped out to an early 7-3 lead following a jumper from junior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) before Salem State took lead (8-7) as senior Kia Fernandes (Wareham, Mass.) knocked down a three pointer. The Falcons answered back to take a 12-10 margin on a pair of free throws, but the Vikings would knot the score at 12-12 with senior Kate McDonnell (Swansea, Mass.) connected on a layup.
Fitchburg State regained the lead (19-14) as senior Hannah Keohan (Lunenburg, Mass.) drained a three ball, while junior Catherine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.) added a layup. Salem State battled back to take a 24-22 edge on a free throw by Fernandes before both teams traded buckets to end the half with junior Emma Thomson (York, Maine) connecting on a three ball, while Fernandes sank one of two from the charity stripe to make the score 25-25 going into the break.
Following the intermission, Salem State took the lead back (27-25) on a jumper by Fernandes before Fitchburg cut the deficit to 29-28 on a three-pointer from Thomson. The Falcons proceeded to regain the lead on two free-throws by Coppinger for the 33-31 edge. The Green and Gold extended its lead to 45-37 on a Coppinger bucket and a jumper from Marazzi going into the final quarter of play.
The Vikings chipped away at the deficit (47-41) as senior Tyra Scott (Methuen, Mass.) connected on a basket before Fitchburg State secured the victory on a layup from senior Kerry Brodbeck (Boston, Mass.), resulting in the 61-54 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Coppinger with a double-double of 20 points and 20 boards
- Marazzi chipped in with 18 points, four rebounds and four assists for Fitchburg State
- Fernandes paced the Vikings with a game-best 22 points and 21 boards
- Scott added to the mix with 18 points and six caroms for Salem State
- 75th meeting between two schools with Falcons 13-62 all-time vs the Vikings
- Fitchburg State shot 20-for-66 (22.2%) from the field and (9-for-28) 31.5% from three point range
- Salem State finished 19-of-69 (26.8%) overall and (3-for-27) 11.1% for beyond the arc
- Vikings held a narrow 52-51 margin on the glass
- Falcons finished with 25-14 advantage in second chance points
Falcons will travel to MCLA next Wednesday to take on the Trailblazers for a MASCAC bout, starting at 7:30 PM. Vikings will host the Rams of Framingham State University on Saturday for a conference tilt at 3:00 PM.