North Adams, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team defeated the Trailblazers of MCLA, 73-64 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening from the Amsler Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 73, MCLA 64
Records: Fitchburg State (8-6, 2-1 MASCAC) | MCLA (4-10, 0-4 MASCAC)
How It Happened
MCLA jumped out to a 21-11 advantage on a three-pointer from senior Mckenzie Robinson (Adams, Mass.) before Fitchburg State cut into the deficit (26-18) on a three ball by junior Emma Thomson (York, Maine) and a free throw from sophomore Mishelle Logie (Attleboro, Mass.). The Trailblazers responded though on a jumper by senior L'Rae Brundige (Valley Falls, N.Y.) to make the score 28-18.
The Falcons chipped away at lead (30-24) with junior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) hitting back-to-back layups, while senior Hannah Keohan (Lunenburg, Mass.) drained a three ball. Fitchburg State continued the momentum, cutting the deficit to 34-31 going into the break as junior Cahterine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.) connected on a layup.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State took the lead (35-34) on layups from senior Kerry Brodbeck (Boston, Mass.) and Thomson. MCLA regained the advantage (39-38) on a Brundige bucket before the Falcons answered back on baskets by sophomore Payton Holmes (Carver, Mass.) and Marazzi for the 48-42 edge.
The Green and Gold upped its lead to 53-49 on a Thomson put back jumper before Holmes added a two from the free-throw line for the 58-51 edge. The Trailblazer answered back on a Samantha Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) jumper, but Holmes knocked down three-pointer from the elbow, resulting in the 73-64 final
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led Marazzi with a game-best 22 points and three assists
- Coppinger chipped in with a double-double of 13 points and 20 rebounds
- Brundige paced the Trailblazers with 15 points and four caroms
- Junior Khlah Langston (East Hartford, Conn) added 13 points and six caroms
- 70th meeting between two schools with Falcons 42-28 all-time vs the Trailblazers
- Fitchburg State shot 27-for-66 (40.9%) from the field and (10-for-27) 37.0% from three point range
- MCLA finished 23-of-73 (31.5%) overall and (8-for-18) 44.4% for beyond the arc
- Falcons held a 53-42 margin on the glass
- Trailblazers had a 21-14 advantage in bench points
Falcons will host the Lancers of Worcester State University on Saturday for a MASCAC clash, starting at 2:00 PM. Trailblazers will travel to Salem State University on Tuesday for a conference bout at 7:30 PM.