Westfield, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team dropped a 99-68 decision to the Owls of Westfield State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening from the Woodward Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 68, Westfield State 99
Records: Fitchburg State (8-8, 2-3 MASCAC) | Westfield State (11-7, 5-0 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Westfield State raced out to an early 15-2 lead, capped by a jumper from junior Chelsea Moussette (Southampton, Mass.) before Fitchburg State answered back as junior Catherine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.) hit a running layup, while sophomore Payton Holmes (Carver, Mass.) knocked down a three ball to cut the lead to 17-7.
The Owls upped their advantage (29-9) on a bucket from senior Allison Hester (Sutton, Mass.), but the Falcons responded with a put back jumper and two free-throws by Coppinger to cut the deficit to 31-13. The Green and Gold cut into the deficit as sophomore Chloe Roberts (Hanson, Mass.) buried a three-ball and freshman Jadelen Harold (Pawtucket, Conn.) added a layup before senior Lucy Barrett (Williamstown, Mass.) hit a bucket to extend the hosts margin to 54-22 going into the intermission.
Following the break, Fitchburg State continued to battle as Holmes drained another three ball to make the score 66-25, but Westfield State answered back with three pointer by sophomore Melissa Gray (Peabody, Mass.) for the 72-27 margin.
The Green and Gold went on a 13-0 stretch to start the fourth quarter as junior Emma Thomson (York, Maine) connected on a three pointer, while classmate Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) added back-to-back three balls to cut the lead to 87-52, but the Owls secured the victory when freshman Jordan Halgas (Ware, Mass.) hit a jumper, resulting in the 99-68 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led Coppinger with a double-double of 18 points and 14 rebounds
- Marazzi chipped in with a 12 points and five boards for Fitchburg State
- Gray paced the Owls with a game-best 27 points and eight caroms
- McCarthy added 18 points and four rebounds for Westfield State
- 73rd meeting between two schools with Falcons 14-59 all-time vs the Owls
- Fitchburg State shot 27-for-74 (36.4%) from the field and (8-for-27) 29.6% from three point range
- Westfield State finished 40-of-28 (31.5%) overall and (13-for-42) 31.0% for beyond the arc
- Falcons held a 5 ma0-47 margin on the glass
- Owls had a 20-15 advantage in second chance points
Falcons will host the Bears of Bridgewater State on Thursday for a MASCAC matchup, starting at 7:30 PM. Owls will visit Worcester State on the same date for a conference clash with a 7:30 PM tipoff.