Cordeau blasts team-leading third home run of the season in non-conference victory
Northborough, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University baseball team rallied for an 8-5 victory over the Amcats of Anna Maria College in non-conference action this afternoon from the New England Baseball Complex.
Score: Fitchburg State 8, Anna Maria 5
Records: Fitchburg State (7-4) I Anna Maria (7-7)
How It Happened
Anna Maria grabbed a 3-0 margin in the bottom of the first as freshman Kosta Drosidis (Holden, Mass.) tripled home sophomore Jason Shell (Sandwich, Mass.), junior Adam Twitchell (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and sophomore Nate Holland (Sandwich, Mass.) before the Falcons cut the lead to 3-1 in the second on a ground out by junior Timothy Horton (Northampton, Mass.) that brought in sophomore Johan Asencio (Clinton, Mass.).
The Falcons continued to chip away at the deficit in the top half of the third when freshman Brendan Ferrell (Plymouth, Mass.) drove in sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) with a single to right field to make the score 3-2, while knotting the contest (3-3) in the top of the fifth as Cordeau came around to score on a wild pitch.
The Green and Gold would take the lead in the top of the seventh as Cordeau blasted a three-run home run over the left field fence that scored Horton and junior Matthew Pingitore (Rutland, Mass.) for the 6-3 margin,
Fitchburg State extended its margin (8-5) in the top of the ninth when Cordeau tripled to right center and crossed the plate on an RBI single off the bat of Ferrell, while sophomore Lucas Amico (Leominster, Mass.) closed the door for the Falcons in the bottom half of the ninth, en-route to his first collegiate save as Fitchburg State held on for the 8-5 victory.
Inside the Numbers
- 18th meeting between the two teams in baseball with the Falcons 14-3 vs the Amcats
- Cordeau paced Fitchburg State's offense, going 2-for-3 with a homerun, triple, four runs scored and three RBI
- Evan Meleedy (Lakeville, Mass.) earned the win for the Falcons, allowing two runs (1 earned) on four hits with two K's in 3.2 innings of relief.
- Drosidis finished 3-for-5 with a triple and three RBI for Anna Maria
- Marc LeBlanc (Northbridge, Mass.) took the loss for the Amcats, yielding three runs on one hit with one strikeout in one inning pitched.
Falcons will travel to WPI to take on the Engineers for a non-conference tilt at the New England Baseball Complex, starting at 3:30 PM. Amcats will host the Lancers of Worcester State University tomorrow at the NEBC at 3:00 PM.