North Adams, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University baseball team dropped a 7-5 decision to the Trailblazers of MCLA in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon from Joe Wolfe Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 5, MCLA 7
Records: Fitchburg State (19-8, 9-3 MASCAC) I MCLA (9-18, 3-9 MASCAC)
How It Happened
MCLA opened up a 6-0 margin in the bottom of the second as junior Dillon Maxon (Brunswick, N.Y.) and classmate Christian Seariac (Framingham, Mass.) notched RBI base knocks. The Trailblazers extended their lead (7-0) in the fourth when newcomer Austin Rachiele (Pittsfield, Mass.) brought home Maxon with sacrifice fly.
Fitchburg State cut the deficit to 7-3 in the top half of the sixth with freshman Brendan Ferrell (Plymouth, Mass.), junior Joshua Macomber (Berkley, Mass.) and junior Matthew Pingitore (Rutland, Mass) collecting RBI's in the frame.
The Green and Gold tacked on two more runs in the top of the ninth as Ferrell laced a two-run single to center that plated sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) and junior Timothy Horton (Easthampton, Mass.), but MCLA would work out of the jam by retiring the next hitter with the tying runners on base, resulting in the 7-5 final.
- 84th meeting between the two teams with the Falcons 34-48-1 vs the Trailblazers
- Ferrell paced the Falcons, going 3-for-5 with one run scored and three RBI
- Seariac hit 2-for-4 with two RBI for the Trailblazers
- Adam Somers (Framingham, Mass.) took the loss for Fitchburg State, allowing seven runs (2 earned) on eight hits with three K's in the complete game effort
- Ryan Ruef (Lee, Mass.) earned the win for MCLA, giving up three runs on five hits with one strikeout in five innings of work
Falcons will host the Vikings of Salem State on Thursday for a MASCAC matchup, starting at 3:30 PM. Trailblazers will visit Worcester State on the same date for a conference tilt at 3:30 PM.