Salem, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University baseball team earned a split with the Vikings of Salem State University this afternoon in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action as the Falcons were edged 1-0 in the opener before rebounding with a 14-0 triumph in the nightcap.
Score: Fitchburg State 0, Salem State 1 (Game One)
Score: Fitchburg State 14, Salem State 0 (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (20-10, 10-5 MASCAC) I Salem State (13-15, 7-8 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Salem State broke a 0-0 deadlock in the bottom of the third when junior Mike Griffin (Hudson, N.H.) laced a double to left center to score senior Brendan Greene (Winchester, Mass.) for the 1-0 lead.
That's all the scoring the Vikings would need as senior hurler Stephen Keskinidis (Stoneham, Mass.) was able to out duel Falcons pitcher Ryan Towle (Westfield, Mass.), as Keskinidis tossed a complete game, no hitter, allowing just three walks.
Fitchburg State rebounded in the nightcap as junior Joshua Macomber (Berkley, Mass.) ripped a two run single to left before sophomore Brandon Lefebvre (Leominster, Mass.) added another two RBI for the 5-0 margin in the fourth inning.
The Falcons broke the contest open in the top of the sixth when junior Matthew Pingitore (Rutland, Mass.) and Lefebvre delivered two-run base knocks, while freshman Vincent Eramo (Shirley, Mass.) launched a three-run jack over the left field fence, resulting in the 14-0, game two final.
By The Numbers
- 102nd meeting between the two teams with the Falcons 2-81 vs the Vikings
- Brendan Ferrell (Plymouth, Mass.), Eramo and Lefebvre registered one walk each for the Falcons
- Towle took the loss for Fitchburg State, giving up one run on just three hits with five K's in the complete game effort
- Keskinidis picked up the win for Salem State, yielding just three walks in the complete game, no-hit shutout
- Lefebvre finished 1-for-3 with one run scored and four RBI for Fitchburg State
- Shawn Rebello (Bellingham, Mass.), hit 1-for-2 for Salem State
- Tommy Parsons (Peabody, Mass.) collected the win for the Falcons, yielding just three hits with three K's in five innings of work
- Brock Riley (Lowell, Mass.) took the loss for the Vikings, allowing five runs (3 earned) on two hits with three strikeouts in 3.1 innings pitched
Falcons will host the Engineers of WPI on Monday for a non-conference matchup, starting at 3:30 PM. Vikings will travel to Southern Maine on Thursday for a non-conference tilt at 3:30 PM.