Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University ice hockey team defeated the Rams of Framingham State University 6-0 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening at the Wallace Civic Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 6, Framingham State 0
Records: Fitchburg State (10-10-2, 7-6-2 MASCAC) | Framingham State (2-17-1, 0-12-1 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the scoring at the 3:24 mark of the first period as junior forward Kyle Hillick (Byfield, Mass.) gathered a feed from senior Nick DiNicola (Wolcott, Conn) and sophomore Sascha Figi (Kloten, Switzerland) and fired a shot into the back of the net for his fifth tally on the year for the 1-0 margin.
The Falcons doubled the lead (2-0) when Ricky Kramer (Barnstead, NH) found Figi open in the slot for his NCAA Division III leading 12th power play goal and his 23 goal of the season.
In the second frame, the Green and Gold notched a shorthanded marker midway through the period. Off an outlet pass from junior Dean Zerby (Harrisburg, Penn.) senior Patrick Germain (Auburn, Mass.) fired a shot from the left wing that caromed off the Framingham State goaltender Adam Calabrese (Philadelphia, Penn.) into the net for the 3-0 lead.
The Green and Gold extended their margin early in the third period when freshman Ryan Murphy (Wayzata, Mann.) redirected a shot inside the far post of a shot by Figi for his fourth tally on the season to make the score 4-0, en-route to a 6-0 final.
Inside the Numbers.
- Fitchburg State finished 2-for-5 on the power-play, while Framingham State went 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
- Falcons held a 55-32 margin in shots
- Sophomore Brian McGrath (Worcester, Mass.) stopped all 32 shots he faced en-route to his tenth win.
- Framingham State Calabrese finished with 49 saves in the setback.
- Freshman Bryan Whelan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) finished with a team-best five shots for the Rams.
- 62nd meeting between the two schools with the Falcons 49-8-5 vs the Rams
Falcons will travel to Salem State University next Thursday February 14th for a MASCAC contest starting at 7 p.m. Rams will travel to Westfield to take on the Owls on Thursday February 7th for a 7:35 p.m. start time.