Marazzi nets game-leading 26 points in non-conference victory
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University women's basketball team defeated the Lasers of Lasell College, 73-54 this afternoon in non-conference action from the Parkinson Gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 73, Lasell 54
Records: Fitchburg State (5-2) | Lasell (4-5)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the contest on an 8-1 run on baskets from juniors Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) and Emma Thomson (York, Maine) as well as layup from senior Kerry Brodbeck (Boston, Mass.) before Lasell cut the deficit to 22-15 on a three ball by sophomore Peyton Young (Douglas, Mass.).
The Falcons extended their margin 24-15 on a layup by Brodbeck, but the Lasers responded (24-18) with a bucket from graduate Imani Bumpus (Dedham, Mass.). The Green and Gold answered back as Marazzi drained a three-pointer to give the hosts a 33-20 advantage with just over three minutes remaining in the first half before junior Dana Ross (East Haven, Conn.) connected on a jumper to make the score 40-29 going into the break.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State upped its lead (46-35) on back-to-back layups from Marazzi before Lasell countered with a pair of free-throws by sophomore Megan Sears (Westminster, Mass.) to cut the lead to 46-37. The Falcons took its largest lead of the contest (58-44) on a jumper from senior Hannah Keohan (Lunenburg, Mass.) and two from charity strip by Marazzi.
Both team traded baskets as sophomore Payton Holmes (Carver, Mass.) drained a three-pointer for the Falcons, while Young connected on a jumper for the Lasers (61-47). Fitchburg State secured the victory late in the frame as Brodbeck sank one of two free-throws, resulting in the 73-54 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were paced by Marazzi with a game best 26 points and five assists
- Holmes added career best 17 points, two caroms and four assists
- Junior D'Asia Allen (Providence, R.I.) led the way for the Lasers with 14 points
- Classmate Amanda Ortiz (Newton, Mass.) chipped in with 11 points and three assists
- Ninth meeting between two schools with Falcons 8-1 all-time vs the Lasers
- Fitchburg State shot 29-for-71 (40.8%) from the field and (9-for-25) 36.0% from three point range
- Lasell finished 18-of-73 (24.7%) overall and (8-for-40) 20.0% for beyond the arc
- Falcons held a 55-47 margin on the glass
- Lasers finished with a 36-29 edge in bench points
Falcons will travel to Suffolk on Thursday to take on the Rams for a non-conference bout, starting at 7:00 PM. Lasers will host the Lions of Emerson College on the same date for a non-conference tilt at 7:00 PM.