Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State Women's Basketball team dropped an 87-71 decision to the Falcons of Albertus Magnus College this afternoon in non-conference action from the Parkinson Gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 71, Albertus Magnus 87
Records: Fitchburg State (1-6) | Albertus Magnus (2-2)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State went on a 7-0 run to open the contest as senior Emma Thomson (York, Maine) drained a three ball, while classmate Catherine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.) and sophomore Jadelen Harold (Nantucket, Mass.) added layups.
Albertus Magnus responded with an 8-3 run, knotting the score at 21-21 on a three ball by senior Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.), but the Falcons answered back with a three pointer from senior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) for the 24-21 advantage.
The visitors went on a 9-0 streak to start the frame, capped by a Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.) three pointers for the 31-24 margin. The Green and Gold would answer back with an 11-0 run, keyed by junior Samantha Maglione (Bolton, Mass.)'s five points for the 35-31 margin.
Albertus Magnus regained the lead (36-35) on a jumper by Nowlin before Thomson buried another three ball to tie the contest at 38-38. The visiting Falcons would close the half on an 8-0 stretch to take a 46-38 lead into the break.
Following the intermission, Albertus Magnus on a 14-0 run, capped by a Cassie Couture (Waterbury, Conn.) three pointer for the 60-38 lead. Fitchburg State countered with a three ball from Maglione and a jumper from Lindsay McDonald (Stoughton, Mass.) to cut the deficit to 66-45.
Both teams traded baskets to open the fourth stanza as Nowlin connected on the jumper for Albertus, while McDonald notched the hoop for Fitchburg State (75-51). The Green and Gold cut the deficit to 78-55 on a pair of layups by Harold, but the visitors secured the victory with freshman Beatriz Honorio (Bridgeport, Conn.) connected on a jumper, resulting in the 87-71 final
Inside the Numbers
- Green and Gold were paced by Maglione with a team-best 19 points, one board and one assist
- Thomson added 15 points, while Harold notched a double-double of 11 points and 11 rebound for Fitchburg State
- For the Albertus Magnus Falcons, Nowlin registered a game-leading 23 points and three steals
- Osmond chipped in with 22 points, six rebounds and nine assists for the visitors
- 2nd meeting between the two teams on the basketball court with the Falcons 0-2 all-time when taking on the Falcons
- Fitchburg State shot 24-of-58 (41.4%) from the field and (12-for-27) 44.4% from downtown
- Albertus Magnus finished 35-of-75 (46.7%) overall and (11-for-31) 35.5% for beyond the arc
- Albertus held a slim 41-37 margin on the glass
Falcons will host the Pride of Regis College on Tuesday for a non-conference tilt, starting at 5:00 PM. Falcons will travel to Western Connecticut State on the same date of a non-conference matchup at 6:00 PM.