Long nets two scores in non-conference setback
Weston, Mass. – The Fitchburg State women's lacrosse team dropped a 15-5 decision to the Pride of Regis College this evening in non-conference action at Regis Stadium.
Score: Fitchburg State 5, Regis 15
Records: Fitchburg State (1-4) | Regis (2-1)
How It Happened
Both teams traded markers as junior Kerri Anselmo (Natick, Mass.) found the back of the net for Regis before Fitchburg State answered back with senior Sarah Mallahan (Dracut, Mass.) connecting on her second tally of the season to knot the score at 1-1.
The Pride regained the lead minutes later as senior Alyssa Kelly (Lee, Mass.) netted her third score of the year for the 2-1 edge before Regis went on a 7-0 run to close the half with an 9-1 advantage, capped by a Maddy Rodriguez (Amherst, Mass.) tally.
Following the intermission, Ftichburg State cut the deficit to 9-3 with junior Tracy Long (Georgetown, Mass.) connecting on back-to-back goals before Regis upped its margin (12-3) as senior Emily Kosak (Milton, Mass.) registering a pair of tallies.
The Green and Gold responded when senior Nicole Lee (Quincy, Mass.) netting her first goal on the year, but the Pride secured the victory as sophomore Rachel Nadeau (Coventry, Conn.) notching the score, resulting in the 15-5 final.
Inside the Numbers,
- Fourth meeting between the two teams in women's lacrosse with the Falcons 2-2 vs the Pride
- Long led the way for the Falcons with two goals, three groundballs and one caused turnover
- Lee added one score, six groundballs, one draw control and three caused turnovers for Fitchburg State
- Kelly finished with three goals, one assist, two groundballs, five draw controls and one caused turnover for the Pride
- Marguerite Belcher (Quincy, Mass.) stopped ten shots for Fitchburg State
- Brittany McPherson (Lynn, Mass.) made eight saves for Regis
Falcons will travel to New England College on Saturday to take on the Pilgrims for a non-conference matchup, starting at 4:00 PM. Pride will visit Saint Joseph of Connecticut on Wednesday for a non-conference tilt at 4:00 PM.