Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University baseball team defeated the Bears of Bridgewater State University, 10-6 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon from Riccards Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 10, Bridgewater State 6
Records: Fitchburg State (17-6, 8 -1 MASCAC) I Bridgewater State (8-13, 5-5 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State took a 4-0 advantage in the bottom of the first as junior Joshua Macomber (Berkley, Mass.) laced a two-run single to right center, while sophomore Brandon Lefebvre (Leominster, Mass.) added an RBI fielder's choice.
Bridgewater State cut the deficit to 5-1 in the top of the third when freshman Liam Bell (Wells, Maine) ripped an RBI single up the middle to bring in sophomore Matt McDonald (Randolph, Mass.).
The Bears continued to battle, plating two runs in the top of the fourth as senior Dominic Precopio (Framingham, Mass.) singled in a run before McDonald added a sacrifice fly to center field to make the score 5-3.
The Falcons answered back in the bottom of the fourth with sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) swiping home plate for the 6-3 edge before the Green and Gold extended their margin (9-3) as junior Brennan Cuddahy (Leominster, Mass.) blasted a three-run shot to straight away center.
Bridgewater State chipped away at the lead as Precopio and junior Jonathan Liovolsi (Bridgewater, Mass.) come home on a throwing error, while senior Greg Sparkman (Beverly, Mass.) delivered a run scoring single to center, resulting in the 10-6 final.
- 86th meeting between the two teams with the Falcons 25-61 vs the Bears
- Cuddahy led the way for the Falcons, going 1-for-4 with a home run, one run scored and three RBI
- Macomber added two hits, two runs scored and two RBI for the Green and Gold
- Precopio finished 3-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI for the Bears
- Sparkman and Bell chipped in with one RBI each for the visitors
- Richard Sharp (Townsend, Mass.) earned the win for Fitchburg State, allowing three runs on seven hits with six K's in seven innings of work
- Matt Josselyn (Hanson, Mass.) took the loss for Bridgewater State, giving up nine runs (6 earned) on eight hits with two strikeouts over five innings pitched
Falcons will travel to Bridgewater State tomorrow to take on the Bears for a MASCAC twin bill, starting at 1:00 PM. Bears will host Fitchburg State tomorrow for a conference double header at 1:00 PM.