Nashua, N.H. – The Fitchburg State University baseball team defeated the Raiders of Rivier University, 13-3 in non-conference action this evening from Holman Stadium.
Score: Fitchburg State 13, Rivier 3
Records: Fitchburg State (19-7) I Rivier (7-26)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the scoring in the top of the first when junior Joshua Macomber (Berkley, Mass.) notched a sacrifice fly, while classmate Brennan Cuddahy (Leominster, Mass.) added a run scoring single down the right field line for the 2-0 edge.
Following a wild pitch that allowed Rivier to cut the lead to 2-1, the Falcons upped their margin (7-1) in the following frame as newcomer Brendan Ferrell (Plymouth, Mass.), Macomber and sophomore Brett Spano (Hanson, Mass.) collected RBI base knocks.
The Raiders cut the lead to 9-3 in the bottom of the fourth, scoring a pair of unearned runs on a throwing miscue, but Fitchburg State responded in the top seventh on an RBI single from newcomer Vincent Eramo (Shirley, Mass.) to make the score 10-3.
The Green and Gold secured the victory in the top half of the eighth when sophomore Cameron Donahue (Methuen, Mass.) reached on a fielder's, allowing Spano to cross the plate following a throwing miscue, resulting in the 13-3 final.
- Tenth meeting between the two teams with the Falcons 10-0 vs the Raiders
- Eramo hit 2-for-4 with two RBI to pace the Falcons
- Brandon Thibault (Methuen, Mass.) notched the lone hit for the Raiders
- Kyle Nocera (Mendon, Mass.) earned the win for Fitchburg State, allowing three runs (two earned) on one hit with 11 K;s in five innings of work
- Eric Maxfield (Lowell, Mass.) took the loss for Rivier University, giving up nine runs on 11 hits with two strikeouts in 3.2 innings pitched
Falcons will travel to MCLA tomorrow to take on the Trailblazers for a MASCAC matchup, starting at 3:30 PM. Raiders will host the Yellow Jackets of Northern Vermont-Lyndon on the same date for a non-conference tilt at 7:00 PM