Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University men's basketball team defeated the Lancers of Worcester State University 78-74 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon from the Parkinson Gymnasium.
Score: Fitchburg State 78, Worcester State 74
Records: Fitchburg State (7-9, 3-1 MASCAC) | Worcester State (9-8, 2-2 MASCAC)
How It Happened
In a first half full of streaks the visiting Lancers raced out to an 8-0 lead before the Falcons battled back to notch the game at 17-17. Sophomore Chris Cardoso (Jamaica Plain, Mass.) and junior Tyler Dion (Barre, Mass.) paced Worcester State opening the frame with back-to-back treys. Junior Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind) led the green and gold with seven points over a six minute span in a 16-7 run that evened the game with ten minutes to play.
The Falcons took their first lead of the game (19-17) with a basket from senior Johnathan Perez (Lowell, Mass.) at the 7:55 mark, however Worcester built a six point advantage (31-25) after a good basket at the charity stipe from junior Shaun McCarthy (Oxford, Mass.). Freshman Tayjaun McKenzie (Lynn, Mass.) and Perez closed out the half with baskets sandwiched around a good jumper from Dion to trail by a basket (33-31) at intermission.
Fitchburg State University quickly knotted the score (35-35) to open the second half with baskets from Tracy and junior Jordon Jones (Worcester, Mass.). The Falcons found a rhythm and went on an 18-5 run bookended by baskets from junior Charles Doss (Fitchburg, Mass.) and Jones.
Worcester held tight and cut the deficit to 56-53 with a trey from sophomore Jason Feliciano (Springfield, Mass.) and a free-throw from Michel Toney (Boston, Mass.). The Lancers took their first lead of the second half (62-60) when Dion drained a three-pointer from the elbow with seven minutes to play.
Trailing 69-67, the Falcons regained the lead with a deep three from Perez however Cardoso answered with a three-point play as Worcester re-claimed the lead (72-70) with 2:10 remaining. Perez would tie the game (72-72) on the next possession with a basket in the paint.
Coming out of a full time-out St. John delivered the take-down punch with a one-on-one move and jumper from the top of the key for the lead (76-74) and the win.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were paced by St. John with a team-best 19 points and four assists
- Perez added 16 points and four rebounds for Fitchburg State
- Cardoso netted a game-best 21 points and four boards for the Lancers
- Dion chipped in with 18 points and five assists for the Lancers
- 107th meeting between two schools with Falcons 41-66 all-time vs the Lancers
- Fitchburg State shot 30-for-72 (41.7%) from the field and (8-for-20) 40.0% from three point land
- Worcester State finished 28-of-58 (48.3%) overall and (9-for-22) 40.9% from beyond the arc
- Fitchburg State held a slim 39-38 margin in rebounds
- Lancers finished with a narrow 11-10 edge in second chance points
Falcons will travel to Westfield State to take on the Owls on Tuesday evening for a MASCAC bout, starting at 5:30 PM. The Lancers head to Bridgewater State on the same day in MASCAC action with a 5:30 PM tipoff.