Worcester, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University men's basketball team defeated the Lancers of Worcester State University, 80-76 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon at the John P. Brissette Court.
Score: Fitchburg State University 80, Worcester State 76
Records: Fitchburg State (11-12, 6-4 MASCAC) | Worcester State (11-12, 4-6 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State broke a 10-10 tie as junior guard Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.) buried a three pointer from right corner before Worcester State retied the contest (13-13) as sophomore Joe Desormier (Granby, Mass.) hit a three pointer.
The Lancers took a 20-15 margin on a trey by junior Cal Howes (Maynard, Mass.) and layup from classmate Frantz Francois (Boston, Mass.) but the Falcons responded with seven straight points by junior Davan Harris (Danvers, Mass.) to take a 22-20 edge.
Worcester regained the lead as Howes buried another three-pointer for the 30-28 margin before Fitchburg State answered back on free-throw from junior Jordan Jones (Worcester, Mass.) and a Tayjaun McKenzie (Lynn, Mass.) three ball to make the score 32-30 going into the break.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State extended its margin (38-30) on buckets from senior Anselm Edegbe (Benin, Nigeria) and Harris before Worcester State cut the lead to 42-40 on a Chris Cardoso (Jamaica Plain, Mass.) three-pointer. The Lancers retied the contest (51-51) midway through the second half on a bucket from sophomore Emeka Egwuatu (Worcester, Mass.).
With the score knotted at 67-67, the Green and Gold got back-to-back baskets from Harris and Tracy for the 71-67 advantage. Cardoso knocked down a pair of free-throws for the Lancers, but Fitchburg State secured the victory on two free-throws by junior Tyrell St. John (Stamford, Conn79-.), resulting in the 80-76 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Harris with a game-best 25 points and five rebounds
- Tracy added 15 points and seven assists for Fitchburg State
- Cardoso finished with a team-leading 22 points and eight caroms for Worcester State
- Howes chipped in with 18 points and five assists for the Lancers
- 108th meeting between two schools with Falcons 42-66 all-time vs the Lancers
- Fitchburg State shot 28-for-63 (44.4%) from the field and (10-for-21) 47.6% from three point land
- Worcester State finished 29-of-58 (50.0%) overall and (12-for-28) 42.9% from beyond the arc
- Worcester State held a 41-35 margin on the glass
- Falcons finished with a 20-10 edge in bench points
Falcons will host the Owls of Westfield State University on Wednesday for a MASCAC clash, starting at 5:30 PM. Lancers will host the Bears of Bridgewater State University on the same day for a 5:30 PM start.