Bridgewater, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University men's basketball team defeated the Bears of Bridgewater State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon at the Tinsley Center.
Score: Fitchburg State University 80, Bridgewater State 68
Records: Fitchburg State (12-13, 7-5 MASCAC) | Bridgewater State (8-17, 6-6 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State to a 5-2 lead on a jumper by junior Devan Harris (Danvers, Mass.) before Bridgewater State cut the deficit to 7-5 as junior Dimitri St. Louis (Brockton, Mass.) hit a three-pointer. The Falcons upped their margin (18-14) on a three-ball from senior Jonathan Perez (Lowell, Mass.).
The Bears responded with a layup by Jonathan Mercado (Lynn, Mass.) to make the score 21-19, but Fitchburg State would answer back as junior Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.) buried a three-pointer (24-19). The Green and Gold closed out the first half scoring with Harris connecting on a layup as time expired for the 38-34 advantage going into the break.
Following the intermission, Bridgewater State knotted the score (38-38) on buckets from Rayshon Ward (Fayetteville, N.C.) and Admar Jaramillo (Brockton, Mass.), but Fitchburg State regained the lead as juniors Jordan Jones (Worcester, Mass.) and Charles Doss (Fitchburg, Mass.) hit jumpers for the 50-46 edge.
The Bears continued to battle as Ward hit a layup to cut the lead to 58-54 before junior Tyrell St. John (Stamford, Conn.) drained a three-pointer for the Falcons for the 61-54 margin. Fitchburg State would secure the victory though as Jones connected on a jumper, resulting in the 80-68 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Harris with a team leading 16 points and seven rebounds
- Jones added 16 points and seven boards for Fitchburg State
- Junior Ryan Carney (Easton, Mass.) finished with a game-best 20 points for Bridgewater State
- Ward chipped in with 17 points and five assists for the Lancers
- 99th meeting between two schools with Falcons 30-69 all-time vs the Bears
- Fitchburg State shot 33-for-75 (44.0%) from the field and (8-for-25) 32.0% from three point land
- Bridgewater State finished 26-of-61 (42.6%) overall and (4-for-19) 21.1% from beyond the arc
- Fitchburg State held a 51-30 margin on the glass
- Bears finished with a 42-40 edge in points in the paint
Falcons clinched the third seed in the upcoming 2018-19 MASCAC Men's Basketball post-season tournament and will host the sixth seeded Lancers of Worcester State on Tuesday at 7:00 PM. Bears will host the fifth seeded Rams of Framingham State on the same date at 5:30 PM.