Newton, Mass. – The Fitchburg State Men's Basketball team opened its 2019-20 season this evening, defeating the Lasers of Lasell University, 83-74 at the Lasell Athletic Complex.
Score: Fitchburg State 83, Lasell 74
Records: Fitchburg State (1-0) | Lasell (0-1)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the contest with an 8-5 advantage as senior Devan Harris (Danvers, Mass.) connected on a pair of buckets, while sophomore Devon Johnson (Washington, D.C.) added a layup. Lasell cut the lead to 12-7 on a jumper from junior Angel Reyes (Miami Gardens, Fla.) midway through the frame.
The Falcons extended their margin (26-17) on back-to-back buckets from senior Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.). The Lasers chipped away at the deficit with junior Kevin Vanderhorst (Lawrence, Mass.) connected on a layup to make the score 29-23. Fitchburg State would take a 42-29 lead into the break with sophomore Tayjaun McKenzie (Lynn, Mass.) burying a three ball with just over a minute remaining in the frame.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State upped its margin to 53-35 on baskets by senior Charles Doss (Fitchburg, Mass.) and Tracy before Lasell answered with a Vanderhorst layup (53-37). The Green and Gold responded as freshman Xavier Betancourt (Tampa, Fla.) netted a jumper to push the lead to 55-37.
A Tracy jumper made the score 67-55 with five minute left in the contest, but Vanderhorst notched a layup for the Lasers to cut the lead to 67-57. Kevin Nunez (Dorchester, Mass.) sank a pair of free throws for Lasell to make the score 69-60, but Bettancourt and Tracy notched baskets for the Falcons on the other end, resulting in the 83-74 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Tracy with a team-leading 29 points, eight boards, one assist, one block and two steal
- Harris and Betancourt chipped in with 13 points apiece for the Green and Gold
- Vanderhorst paced the Lasers with a game-best 34 points, 11 caroms, three assists, one block and one steal
- Nunez added 15 points, six rebounds, two assists and one steal for Lasell
- Sixth meeting between two schools with Falcons 4-2 all-time vs the Lasers
- Fitchburg State shot 31-for-65 (47.7%) from the field and (5-for-20) 25.0% from three point range
- Lasell finished 25-of-69 (42.0%) overall and (1-for-15) 6.7% for beyond the arc
- Lasers held a 49-34 margin on the glass
Falcons return to action on Wednesday as it hosts the Cougars of Clark University for a non-conference tilt, starting at 6:00 PM. Lasers will host the Beavers of Babson College on the same date for a non-conference bout at 7:00 PM.