Amherst, Mass. – The Fitchburg State Men's Basketball team dropped an 84-62 decision to the Mammoths of Amherst College this afternoon at the LeFrak Gymnasium in the championship game of the 2019 Ken Wright Invitational on the campus of Amherst College.
Score: Fitchburg State 62, Amherst 84
Records: Fitchburg State (4-2) I Amherst (3-0)
How It Happened
Amherst opened the contest on a 12-0 run, capped by an Eric Sellew (Carlisle, Mass.) jumper before Fitchburg State were able to knot the score at 16-16 on a pair of free-throws from senior Nicholas Tracy (Indianapolis, Ind.).
The Falcons grabbed 20-18 edge as senior Jordan Jones (Worcester, Mass.) connected on a jumper, but Mammoths went on a 24-3 run over an 11 minute span towards the end of the half with Fru Che (Somerville, Mass.) hitting a jumper to close out the streak. The visitors cut the lead to 42-25 going into the break when Jones netted a pair of free throws.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State chipped into the deficit when sophomore Devon Johnson (Washington, D.C.) to make the score 54-35. The Green and Gold continued to battle as senior Devan Harris (Danvers, Mass.) notched a layup (66-47) before Amherst responded with a bucket from Michael Schretter (Ridgewood, N.J.) for the 68-47 margin.
The Falcons responded with a three ball by Jones and a Trevian Hinson (Tampa, Fla.) layup (80-56. Amherst countered as Dan Schlakman (Sharon, Mass.) registered a jumper before Fitchburg State closed out the scoring on baskets from junior Anthony Diaz (Harrisburg, Penn.) and sophomore Eian Gannon (Clinton, Mass.), resulting in the 84-62 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Falcons were led by Tracy with a team-leading 18 points, six boards and two steals
- Johnson and Jones combined for 23 points for Fitchburg State
- Che paced the Mammoths with a game-best 22 points and nine caroms
- Sellew chipped in with a double-double of 16 points and 11 rebounds for Amherst
- Second meeting between the two teams on the basketball court with the Falcons 0-2 all-time vs the Mammoths
- Fitchburg State shot 24-for-60 (40.0%) from the field and (1-of-17) 5.9% from three point range
- Amherst finished 33-of-81 (40.7%) overall and (11-for-39) 28.2% for beyond the arc
- Mammoths held a 56-31 margin on the glass
Falcons will host the Hawks of Becker College on Monday for a non-conference tilt, starting at 6:00 PM. Mammoths will travel to Westfield State University on Tuesday for a non-conference matchup at 6:00 PM.