For Immediate Release
Assistant Sports Information Director
March 11, 2019
Register 3-0 shutout victory over Norwich in opener; Drop nightcap, 4-0 to Franciscan
Myrtle Beach, S.C. – The Fitchburg State University softball defeated the Cadets of Norwich University, 3-0 in the first game of the second day at the Fast Dreams Classic in Myrtle Beach before dropping a 4-0 decision to the Barons of Franciscan University in their second contest of the day.
Score: Fitchburg State 3, Norwich 0 (Game One)
Records: Fitchburg State (2-1) | Norwich (0-1)
Score: Fitchburg State 0, Franciscan 4 (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (2-2) | Franciscan (1-1)
How It Happened
The Falcons doubled their margin (2-0) in the following frame when junior McKenzie Lambert (Wilbraham, Mass.) laced a single to left field that plated senior Melissa DiPhilippo (Norfork, Mass.) before Fitchburg State capped the scoring in the bottom half of the third with DiPhilippo notching an RBI single down the left field line to score pinch runner Morgan Cormier (Leominster, Mass.), resulting in the 3-0 final.
In game two, Franciscan grabbed an early 1-0 lead in the top half of the second inning, before doubling their advantage (2-0) in the top of the fourth following a home run.
Fitchburg State would threaten in their half of the fourth, loading the bases as freshman Lundyn Forcier (Woonsocket, R.I.) singled, moved to second on hit by pitch from classmate Audrey Johnson (Fitchburg, Mass.) and fielding error that allowed newcomer Courtney Luker (North Reading, Mass.) to reach, but the Barons got out the jam by inducing an inning ending ground out to preserve the 2-0 margin.
The Barons would secure the victory in the fifth, plating two insurance runs, resulting in the 4-0 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Fourth meeting with the Falcons 4-0 vs the Cadets
- DiPhilippo paced the Green and Gold in game one, going 2-for-4 with a double, one run scored and one RBI
- Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass.) earned the win in the circle, pitching a complete game, five hit shutout with a career-best tying six K's in the opener for Fitchburg State
- Third meeting with the Falcons 2-1 vs the Barons
- Forcier led the way for the Falcons in game two with her first two collegiate hits, including a triple
- Taylor Colvin (Lancaster, Mass.) took the loss in the second contest, giving up three earned runs on seven hits and two K's in 4.1 innings of work
Falcons return to action tomorrow as they take on La Roche and Clarks Summit in day three action of the Fast Pitch Dreams Classic at 9:30 AM and 3:30 PM.