Collect 9-7 comeback win over Greenville in opener; Edged 3-1 to Lycoming in nightcap
Myrtle Beach, S.C. – The Fitchburg State softball split a pair of contests on day four of its annual spring trip at the Fast Pitch Dreams Classic today as the Falcons notched a 9-7, 11 inning comeback victory over Greenville in the first game before suffering a tough 3-1 setback to Lycoming in the second contest.
Score: Fitchburg State 9, Greenville 7 (Game One) (11 Inn)
Records: Fitchburg State (5-2) | Greenville (3-2)
Score: Fitchburg State 1, Lycoming 3 (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (5-3) | Lycoming (6-0)
How It Happened
In game one, Fitchburg State took a 4-0 advantage in the top of the second as senior Maddie Medina (Pelham, N.H.) laced a two-run triple to right field before classmate Melissa DiPhilippo (Norfolk, Mass.) followed with an RBI fielder's choice.
Greenville would answer with five runs in the bottom of the fifth to take a 6-4 edge, but the Falcons knotted the score (6-6) in top half of the sixth when freshman Lundyn Forcier (Woonsocket, R.I.) delivered a clutch two-run single into right field to bring in Medina and junior Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass.).
Both teams traded runs in the tenth to keep the contest tied at 7-7, going into the 11th, but the Green and Gold regained the lead for good as senior Hayley McCarthy (Lawrence, Mass.) crossed the plate on a wild pitch, while Medina ripped a run scoring single to left center that scored Harnois, resulting in the 9-7, 11 inning victory for Fitchburg State.
In game two, Fitchburg State grabbed a 1-0 advantage in the bottom of the first when junior McKenzie Lambert (East Longmeadow, Mass.) doubled to left center to bring home senior Nicole Sylvester (Everett, Mass.).
Lycoming answered back in the top half of the sixth, scoring three runs on three hits, highlighted by a three-run home run over the leftfield fence, resulting in the 3-1 final.
Inside the Numbers
- First ever meeting with the Falcons 1-0 vs the Panthers
- Medina went 3-for-5 with a triple, two runs scored and three RBI for Fitchburg State in game one
- Harnois picked up the win for the Falcons, giving up one unearned run on four hits with one K in seven innings of relief
- First ever meeting with the Falcons 0-1 vs the Warriors
- Lambert paced the Falcons game two offense, going 2-for-3 with two doubles and one RBI
- Harnois took the loss for the Green and Gold, allowing three runs on eight hits in 4.2 innings of work
Falcons conclude their annual spring trip tomorrow in Myrtle Beach as they face off with Keystone and Pikeville 11:30 AM and 3:30 PM.