Harnois improves to 10-3 with game two triumph
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University softball team split a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) double header with the Lancers of Worcester State this afternoon at Coolidge Park as the Falcons were edged 3-1 in the opener before earning the split with an 11-3, game two triumph in the nightcap.
Score: Fitchburg State 1, Worcester State 1 (Game One)
Score: Fitchburg State 11, Worcester State 3 (Six Inn) (Game Two)
Records: Fitchburg State (17-9, 5-1) I Worcester State (4-22, 3-3 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Worcester State took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first as sophomore Liv Larson (Marlborough, Mass.) drew a bases loaded walk to bring in junior Samantha Stake (Worcester, Mass.) before the Lancers double their margin (2-0) in the top of the fourth when senior Monica Ferranzzani (North Reading, Mass.) singled to right as sophomore Sam Maglione (Lancaster, Mass.) crossed the plate.
Worcester State upped its lead (3-0) in the fifth with senior Katie Polselli (Charlton, Mass.) connecting on an RBI triple to right field that scored junior Kalulani Ennis (Swansea, Mass.), but Fitchburg State would answer back in the bottom of the seventh as senior Maddie Medina (Pelham, N.H.) lacing an RBI double to center field to score freshman Lundyn Forcier (Woonsocket, R.I.), resulting in the 3-1 final.
Worcester State grabbed an early 1-0 margin in the first frame as Polselli doubled to left to plate junior Ashely Lynch (Shrewsbury, Mass.) before Fitchburg State responded in the their half of the first when senior Michelle LeBlanc (Ashburnham, Mass.) ripped a two-run double to center field that scored classmates Nicole Sylvester (Everett, Mass.) and Melissa DiPhilippo (Norfolk, Mass.) to make the score 2-1.
The Lancers knotted the score (2-2) in the top of the third on a Poselli RBI double to center, but the Falcons struck for three runs in the bottom half of the third as senior Hayley McCarthy (Lawrence, Mass.), senior Michaela Keenan (Boston, Mass.) and DiPhilippo notched RBI's for the 5-2 advantage.
The Green and Gold secured the split in the bottom of the fifth when Medina crossed the plate on fielding miscue, while junior Mikayla Harnois (Attleboro, Mass.) and newcomer Audrey Johnson (Fitchburg, Mass.) added RBI's in the stanza, resulting in the 11-3, game two final.
Inside the Numbers
- 83rd meeting between the two teams in softball with the Falcons 27-56 vs the Lancers
- Medina led the way for the Falcons in the opener, going 1-for-3 with a double and an RBI
- Polselli went 3-for-4 with a triple and one run batted in for the Lancers
- Taylor Colvin (Lancaster, Mass.) took the loss for Fitchburg State, giving up three runs on seven hits with one K in 4.1 innings of work
- Rachel Frisch (Worcester, Mass.) picked up the win for Worcester State, allowing one unearned run on two hits with four strikeouts in six innings pitched
- Johnson hit 2-for-3 with two doubles and two RBI for the Falcons in the nightcap
- Polselli was solid for the Lancers again, finishing 2-for-3 with two doubles and two RBI
- Harnois collected the win for Fitchburg State, yielding three runs (two earned) on six hits with three K's in six innings of work
- Larson took the loss for Worcester State, allowing four runs (two earned) on four hits with one strikeout in two innings pitched
Falcons will host the Lasers of Lasell College on Thursday for a non-conference twin bill, starting at 3:00 PM. Lancers will travel to Rhode Island College on the same date for a non-conference double header at 4:00 PM.