LeBlanc, Forcier and Medina collect one hit each for Falcons
Bridgewater, Mass. – The fourth seeded Falcons of Fitchburg State University dropped a 2-0 decision to the top seeded Bears of Bridgewater State in quarterfinal round action of the 2019 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon at Alumni Park.
Score: Fitchburg State 0, Bridgewater State 2
Records: Fitchburg State (25-15, 8-6 MASCAC) I Bridgewater State (18-18, 12-2 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State threatened in the top of the third as senior Michelle LeBlanc (Ashburnham, Mass.) ripped a double to left field, but Bridgewater State hurler Natalie Sorrenti (Bridgewater, Mass.) got out the inning unscathed.
The Bears took a 1-0 lead in the bottom half of fourth when senior Meghan Navarro (Taunton, Mass.) brought in freshman Megan Sharon (East Longmeadow, Mass.) with sacrifice fly to left before the hosts doubled their margin (2-0) on a Sharon RBI base knock as Bridgewater State held on for the 2-0 final.
Inside the Numbers
- 76th meeting between the two teams in softball with the Falcons 9-67 vs the Bears
- LeBlanc paced the Falcons, going 1-for-3 with double
- Lundyn Forcier (Woonsocket, R.I.) added a triple for the Green and Gold
- Sharon went 2-for-3 with one run scored and an RBI for the Bears
- Taylor Colvin (Lancaster, Mass.) took the loss for Fitchburg State, allowing two runs (1 earned) on four hits with one K in five innings of work
- Sorrenti collected the win for Bridgewater State, giving up just two hits with three strikeouts in four innings pitched
Falcons will host the Lancers of Worcester State tomorrow in semifinal round action of the 2019 MASCAC Softball Tournament, starting at 4:00 PM. Bears will hosts the Rams of Framingham State tomorrow in the other semifinal round contest at 4:00 PM.