Hall nets one goal and one assist in non-conference setback
Port Charlotte, Fla. – The Fitchburg State women's lacrosse team dropped a tough 15-5 decision to the Pioneers of Carroll University this morning in opening round action of the Spring Fling Games in Port Charlotte, Fla.
Score: Fitchburg State 5, Carroll 15
Records: Fitchburg State (1-1) | Carroll (2-1)
How It Happened
Carroll took a 7-0 advantage in the first half of play on two goals from senior Ariannah Ritter (Sun Prairie, Wis.), while sophomore Clara Jelacic (Waukesha, Wis.), classmate Courtney Wright (Chicago, Ill,), senior Amanda Ferr (Franklin, Wis.), sophomore Michalea Johnson (Mukwonago, Wis.) and sophomore Alyssa Scharff (Nashotah, Wis.) added one score each.
Following the break, Fitchburg State cut the deficit to 10-3 as senior Sarah Mallahan (Dracut, Mass.), freshman Jillian Whalen (South Hadley, Mass.) and newcomer Julia Miele (South Hadley, Mass.) found the back of the net.
The Green and Gold continued to battle back later in the second half when senior Jessica Hall (Dracut, Mass.) and junior Tracy Long (Georgetown, Mass.) added goals to make the score 11-5, but Jelacic netted her second tally of the contest for the Pioneers to secure the victory for Carroll, resulting in the 15-5 final.
Inside the Numbers
- First ever meeting with the Falcons 0-1 vs the Pioneers
- Whalen netted her first collegiate score for Fitchburg State
- Hall added one goal and one assist for the Green and Gold
- Jelacic led the way for Carroll with two goals, one assist, two draw controls and one groundball
- Marguerite Belcher (Quincy, Mass.) and Brianna Smith (Dorchester, Mass.) combined to make nine saves for Fitchburg State
- Shelby Schoob (Sun Prairie, Wis.) stopped seven shots for Carroll
Falcons return to action tomorrow as they take on the Kangaroos of SUNY Canton in day two action of the Spring Fling Games, starting at 10:00 AM. Pioneer will battle SUNY Canton as well on Thursday in their final game in Florida at 1:00 PM.