Long eclipses 100 point mark in non-conference setback
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State women's lacrosse team dropped a tough 11-10 decision to the Chargers of Colby-Sawyer College in non-conference action this evening from Elliiot Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 10, Colby-Sawyer 11
Records: Fitchburg State (1-8) | Colby-Sawyer (7-2)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State raced out to an early 4-0 advantage as junior Tracy Long (Georgetown) connected on back-to-back scores, while senior Sarah Napolitano (Peabody, Mass.) and freshman Julia Miele (South Hadley, Mass.) added one score each.
Colby-Sawyer cut the deficit to 8-3 when sophomore Briana Couture (South Hadley, Mass.) and classmate Sarah Morin (Pelham, N.H.) found the back of the net before the Falcons took an 8-4 margin into the break as Miele notched her third tally of the contest.
Following the intermission, Colby-Sawyer knotted score (8-8) with Morin and senior Sierra Schuster (Hopkinton, N.H.) netting two goals each, but Fitchburg State regained the lead 9-8 as Napolitano notched her second tally on the evening minutes later.
With the scored tied at 9-9, the Green and Gold would regain the lead (10-9) when senior Nicole Lee (Quincy, Mass.) registered her second marker on the season before the Chargers answered with Morin and Schuster potting goals, resulting in the 11-10 final.
Inside the Numbers
- Fifth meeting between the two teams in women's lacrosse with the Falcons 4-1 vs the Chargers
- Napolitano led the way for Fitchburg State with five points on two goals and three assists as well as three draw controls and one caused turnover
- Amanda Hem (Lowell, Mass.) chipped in with four groundballs and three draw controls
- Morin finished with five goals, seven groundballs, four draw controls and one caused turnover for Colby-Sawyer
- Marguerite Belcher (Quincy, Mass.) turned aside 21 shots for the Falcons in the setback
- Kailytn Lapham (Medway, Mass.) made ten saves for the Chargers in the victory
Falcons will travel to MCLA on Saturday to take on the Trailblazers for a MASCAC bout, starting at 1:00 PM. Chargers will host the Spartans of Castleton University tomorrow in non-conference action at 4:00 PM.