Napolitano and Long finish with two goals and one assist each in conference setback
Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State women's lacrosse team dropped a 15-5 decision to the Rams of Framingham State University this afternoon in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action from Elliot Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 5, Framingham State 15
Records: Fitchburg State (2-10, 1-2 MASCAC) | Framingham State (10-3, 3-0 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State took a 1-0 lead early in the contest as senior Sarah Napolitano (Peabody, Mass.) netted her 14th tally on the season before Framingham State answered with six straight markers with junior Nicole Pacheco (Woburn, Mass.) connecting on two scores, while sophomore Hanna McMahon (Watertown, Mass.), classmate Morgan Begley (Milton, Mass.), junior Perin Genaway (Hinsdale, Mass.) and newcomer Tara Palermo (Mashpee, Mass.) added one score for the 6-1.
The Falcons cut the lead to 6-2 when junior Tracy Long (Georgetown, Mass.) found the back of the net, but the Rams would take an 8-2 margin into the break as sophomore Alissa Marino (Trumbull, Conn.) and freshman Chandler Farley (Lunenburg, Mass.) netted goals.
Following the intermission, Fitchburg State cut the deficit to 12-4 when freshman Jillian Whalen (South Hadley, Mass.) collected her second marker of the year, but Framingham State secured the victory on goals from Farley and junior Jennifer Buckley (Woburn, Mass.), resulting in the 15-5 final.
Inside the Numbers
- 12th meeting between the two teams in women's lacrosse with the Falcons 6-6 vs the Rams
- Long paced the Falcons with two goals, one assist and one groundball
- Napolitano added two scores and one helper for the Green and Gold
- Palermo and Pacheco finished with three scores each for the Rams
- Marguerite Belcher (Quincy, Mass.) stopped 14 shots for Fitchburg State in the setback
- Indigo Fox Tree-McGrath (Brighton, Mich.) and Mikayla Seavey (Bridgewater, Mass.) combined to make 13 saves for Framingham State in the victory
Falcons will host the Vikings of Salem State University on Tuesday for a MASCAC matchup, starting at 7:00 PM. Rams will host the Owls of Westfield State University on the sane date for a conference tilt at 7:00 PM.