Kopacz nets four groundballs, four draw controls and four caused turnovers
Worcester, Mass. – The Fitchburg State women's lacrosse team dropped an 18-2 decision to the Lancers of Worcester State this evening in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action from Coughlin Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 2, Worcester State 18
Records: Fitchburg State (2-13, 1-5 MASCAC) | Worcester State (10-4, 4-2 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State took a 1-0 margin early in the contest as freshman Julia Miele (South Hadley, Mass.) struck for her 19th tally on the year. Worcester State knotted the score (1-1) minutes later on a goal from junior Rachel Hopkins (Chelmsford, Mass.).
The Lancers grabbed a 6-1 lead with Hopkins finding the net twice before the Falcons cut the deficit to 6-2 on a Sarah Napolitano (Peabody, Mass.) marker. Worcester State would take a 13-2 advantage into the break as sophomore Kylie Hill (Lunenburg, Mass.) capped the first half scoring.
Following the intermission, Worcester State upped its lead (15-2) when Hill and junior Kelly Austin (Brimfield, Mass.) connected on tallies before the Lancers tacked on an insurance marker as junior Sarah Cohan (Lowell, Mass.) notched her first goal on the season, resulting in the 18-2 final.
Inside the Numbers
- 12th meeting between the two teams in women's lacrosse with the Falcons 5-7 vs the Lancers
- Napolitano led the way for the Falcons, collecting one goal, one assist and one groundball
- Nicole Kopaxz (Tewksbury, Mass.) added four groundballs, four caused turnovers and four draw controls for the Green and Gold
- Hopkins finished with four goals, two assists, two groundballs and four draw controls for the Lancers
- Marguerite Belcher (Quincy, Mass.) and Brianna Smith (Dorchester, Mass.) combined to stop 11 shots for Fitchburg State
- Chloe O'Brien (Sturbridge, Mass.) made eight saves for Worcester State
Falcons will host the Owls of Westfield State University on Saturday for a MASCAC matchup, starting at 7:00 PM. Lancers will visit Framingham State on the same date for a conference tilt at 12:00 PM.